4th of July BBQ Recipe by Mario Batali: Pork Chops with Cherry Barbecue Sauce on the Grill
We all know what the 4th of July means: good food, good beer, good friends + family, and good times! We’re wishing everyone a fun holiday weekend as we gear up to celebrate the 4th this evening!
Our featured Chef Mario Batali will actually be on his way here to Michigan soon to spend quality family time at his Summer home on the Great Lakes. We’re pretty sure he’s got a great 4th of July menu planned! But for those of us without his award-winning culinary skills, here is a delicious spin on the classic grilled pork chop recipe: Mario Batali’s Pork Chops with Cherry Barbecue Sauce on the Grill.
Pork Chops with Cherry Barbecue Sauce
Recipe by Mario Batali (www.mariobatali.com)
For the Marinade
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 1 orange)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 boneless pork loin chops, cut 1-inch thick
For the Cherry Barbecue Sauce
- 1 medium onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 2 oranges)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup frozen sweet cherries
1. In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the marinade and stir together.
2. Place the pork chops in a resealable freezer bag and pour in the marinade, making sure to coat the meat on all sides. Keep cold in a refrigerator or ice-filled cooler for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
Prepping BBQ Sauce
3. In a medium saucepan, cook the onion over medium-high heat, until it softens, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and chili powder and cook 1 minute more. Add the tomatoes, orange juice, ketchup, sugar, and cherries and cook 5 minutes more, stirring frequently.
Transfer the mixture to a blender or a food processor fitted with the metal blade and blend until smooth. Transfer to a plastic container and keep cold in a refrigerator or ice-filled cooler until ready to use or for up to one week.
Barbecuing Pork Chops
4. Prepare enough coals for a medium-hot fire or set a gas grill to medium. Remove the chops from the marinade and discard the cold marinade. Grill the chops over medium heat for about 12 minutes, turning once midway through the cooking. (I like them when they’re still a tiny bit pink in the center, but that’s up to you.)
5. Remove from heat and serve immediately with the Cherry Barbecue Sauce